SOCIAL MEDIA

July 22, 2016

Fridays/Food for thought.

I typically don't talk politics, or really ever write my thoughts out when it comes to all that nonsense. Politics are already messy as it is, plus you can never differentiate truth and lies nowadays. But a lot of it has been on my mind. In terms of our society, the protesting, the violence. All of it. A lot of other things are bothering me and heavy on my heart as well...which by the way have nothing to do with race and what not, but I won't get into all of that today.

Anyways last weekend Elijah had plans with his grandparents and Dylan had work. So I had some time to myself to relax and do absolutely nothing. It was actually really nice laying around all day in my pj's! So I caught up on one of my shows that I recently have gotten into it, Being Mary Jane. I really do overall enjoy watching it and was always curious on the series. Since Gabrielle Union's character (MJ) is a journalist, the show covers a variety of different life topics, and different outlooks which I like. However, after watching this one particular episode, I was still thinking about why they would put that in there. Not to spoil anything for anyone incase you are watching the series..and if so then don't read,lol!) But it was Season 3, maybe episode 8 I think. She starts dating this white guy, which she has never been with one before, ok no biggie. They finally go out together in public for some fun karaoke and it becomes clear to everyone that they are official: Mary Jane is dating a white man people. And maybe if the show was real life then it could possible be a big shocker. Considering the topics she's covered in the past has been about 'black' issues/having a voice for the community. Anyways, they walk off stage and head back to their table. MJ notices a black couple sitting closely, in their own little romantic world. You can tell she admired that. But then suddenly seems bothered/embarrassed being publicly out with her white boyfriend. She gets to work the next day and her boss is excited, saying 'hey how about you add in some discussion covering biracial relationships!?' Mj says she doesn't want to discuss her personal life and her first reaction is no. Once realizing she has no choice pretty much, unwillingly she agrees. Later she has to go to her team explaining there's been a change for the return of 'Talk Back' and explains what the topic will be instead. Overall they were disappointed and so on, you get the idea. So later that night while having her boyfriend over for dinner, their talking about their day and she ends up basically blurting out that she can't date him. She says she likes black men, and wants black love and blah blah blah. So he replies back with how he obviously can't give that to her. End of scene.

Maybe I'm overthinking and being too analytical . But I think her character really did want to be with him regardless of his color/race,etc. Maybe she called it quits because she just wasn't ready, for the world to know her personal business. But then again, she didn't want him that badly, since her mindset is 'there's other fish out in  the sea. Or  hey, there's always long time pal, aka 'cutty buddy'. I wish they could have changed it up a bit to where she did decide to stay with him and give it a chance, to see where it would go. All of this also reminded me of one of my favorite films 'Something New.' Great movie btw. I'm not extremely upset or anything like that (maybe slightly offended) but it just really got me thinking. For me, yes I'm married to a white guy. But then you want to get technical, he's half Puerto rican/Irish. Our last name is Gomez. We have a beautiful son who is mixed with Puerto rican, mexican, black,white and lord knows what else! I can honestly say I have never even thought of color, nor do I see any color difference with anyone. Unless it's brought to my attention from the outside world, then of course. But even with that, it's not something I constantly think about. I forget I'm in a biracial marriage.  Growing up I never saw stupid color, nor did I ever pay attention to it. Then I got a little older and people would make their comments abt my mother being Hispanic. They would even refer to her as a white woman at times. And then comments towards my father, being a 'dark skinned black man'. In my eyes, it's ignorant thinking. And I really hate using that word but when it comes to this topic, it's just how I feel. And some people may not ever understand that.

For me, in the past I have talked/dated different guys of  various backgrounds. But to some people that's looked down upon for not 'sticking to your kind.' Sorry, but we're all people and that's that. Maybe if majority of the world would have truly grown up multiracial or had friends of all races and backgrounds, then we wouldn't have as many racial issues today. Which it honestly seems as if history is just repeating itself in terms of those issues. I understand we can't help where we come from and so on, and not everyone is going to be all mixed up, I get it. But we are in control of our thoughts and actions right now. I can't speak for everyone since some people base their actions on what everyone else is doing and thinking, rather than focusing on what's truly right. But then again, some people are just sooo plain ignorant (there it goes again) that they don't even know the difference between what's right and wrong. Sorry but not sorry.

And I am truly saddened by everything going on with the world. Including all of the recent police news and Black Lives Matter, and how it all has gone down. There's no excuse for that. And I'm actually quite offended the officer was cleared in the Freddie Gray death. I will also add,I personally haven't been able to watch any videos of any recent killings or anything. I also understand why people are upset and wanting to protest, I completely 100+ get it, trust. But then again, the way I'm looking at it...you don't see people out in the streets protesting when a black man kills/shoots another black dude in the neighborhood or vice versa, white man wrongfully killing another white man. It's only protested when another kind commits the crime. I know I've rambled quite a bit, but my whole point is (yep your already thinking it) get rid of Black Lives Matter to ALL lives matter. I cannot deal with some people's mindsets when it comes to the race thing. All this division and lets just keep it real...prejudice and yes the racism, is completely out of control and needs to end. Will it truly ever end??  A lot of people can say oh well I'm not prejudice, I have a white/black friend (s). But then their mindset or 'preference' may be that they enjoy surrounding themselves with a majority of black or white friends. Which please note, Im not saying based on who your friends are that it defines you as prejudice or not. Or just like in the tv show Being Mary Jane,some people may really feel like they can only date whites/blacks/mexicans/Chinese/Indians/fill in the freakin' blank.

(Almost finished,promise.)
Last night I was looking at people's snapchats, and follow this guy that a friend had recommended.Trent Shelton is his name. I had never heard of him until she had mentioned him to me. He speaks very uplifting, powerful stuff daily, which I love. I don't always see every snap since his usually will flood your whole story,lol. But last night I had clicked on one of his and ended up watching every bit of it. He called it 'Colorblind.' What if every human being on this earth was colorblind, then how would the world be? What a powerful thing to think about, right?. Would it make a difference you think if God made us all that way?? Not only did he give a deep message, he also sent out a challenge. For every person to go up to someone you normally never would approach and just talk to them and show love. And I 150% agree with him, it all starts with each and every one of us. Maybe some of us could use a reality self check, and some real self reflection. How can each of us go out in the world and make it more positive? So I want to leave it at this and pass on the challenge to whomever may be reading...go out and do something good. Talk to a stranger. Say hello or give a warm smile to someone who maybe doesn't even speak fluent English. Heck, go play Pokémon go with someone if you like. The point is, you never know what kind of impact you could have on somebody. Because every one in fact, does matter.

1 comment :

  1. I just watched the third season of Being Mary Jane on Netflix last week. I think the show has really hit its stride, and this was the best season yet IMO. While I would've liked to see MJ explore the interracial relationship more, I understand why the writers had her character nip it in the bud. In her line of work, and on TV in general, black women have to really fight to tell our story the way we want it told. Before Shonda Rhimes jumped on the scene, there hadn't been a black woman lead in primetime dramas (not including sitcoms, which get cancelled more quickly) since 1968! 1968! Since she has to explain herself allllll day at work, home should be the one place where she don't have to explain yourself, and dating him would've meant regularly explaining why work is more difficult for her... At least that's the message I got from it. He was really cute though!

    Also, this article/visual did a really good job at explaining why the phrase "black lives matter" is misunderstood. Check it out! :) http://bit.ly/2ahmqtf

    ReplyDelete